Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Tribute and Weekly Webzine Site
Since 1996 ~ Over 15,000 Webpages in Archive
Volume 6817
Wartime Journals of Correspondent Edgar Rice Burroughs :: December 1942-April 1943
or Buck Burroughs Rides Again

Written April 1943 ~ Copyright ERB, Inc.
Shared by Danton Burroughs from his Burroughs Family Archive
Transcribed and Illustrated for ERBzine by Bill Hillman

January 3 and 4
After lunch, Ham and I walked over to Marton House, where we met Syd Albright, Ednee de Troideville, and Pat Robinson. Took a train at Wynyard Station and drove for about 25 minutes to Pymble, a suburb. Arrived there in midst of terrific electrical storm and downpour of rain. Our hostess, Mrs. SJ. Field, met us with car; but had to go back for raincoats and umbrella to get us across over-pass from station to street.

Field is one of the wealthiest cattlemen in Australia, as well as having a big packing industry. They have a lovely home with a large garden and swimming pool Their other guests included C.M.Stump, who wrote "Quite unknown" after his autograph, Laurie D. Smith of Wahroonga, Mona lyson of Pymble, Ralph E. Smith of Vancouver (he is Canadian Minister of Timber, or something), and a Mr. Marton of Manchester, England. The day was cold and disagreeable, but the company and the refreshments were excellent.

By the time Ham and I got back to the hotel and were ready for dinner about 8 P.M., we learned that on Sundays the dining room closes at 7:15! And this in one of the best hotels in the largest city of Australia. Pat Robinson was with us; so he invited us to dine with him at The Australia. Nothing doing there either. We finally heard of a place where we might get food - Ciro's, at 308a New South Head Road, and took a cab there.

Matching, to see who would pay for the cab, I lost. We also matched for the dinner check, and Ham lost. Then I lost the taxi fare back. Ciro's is run by Harry Gould of San Francisco, Shanghai, etc. It is something of a hot night spot. Something Gould knows how to run. His floor show consisted solely, as far as I could determine, of volunteers from this clientele. Altogether, January 3rd was a large day.

The next morning (January 4), William McCall and Bill Rodgers of MGM's Sydney studio called on me and invited me to see Tarzan's New York Adventure, the final Tarzan picture to be made under their contract with Sol Lesser and ERB Inc.

Pvt. Joseph Y. Taylor came up to my room and got my autograph in his Boy Scout book! Then I went, by order of Colonel Dupres, to the Provost Marshall's in the Bank of New South Wales Building, where I was finger-printed and photographed for the umpty-steenth time since December 7, 1941, since when I have done about everything except sit in printer's ink.

From there, I went to the Q.M.'s, where I met Lt. Wm. C. Cruickshank of Barre, Vermont, who took me down to another room where I bought a carton of Camels for 3/6 - about 56 cents. Back at Usher's, Ham came to my room; and we ordered up a double Scotch to fortify ourselves against whatever  might come later. Domini Harnett of Broadcasting Station 2SM phoned that some radio magazine wished a photo of him and me together. He came after lunch with his photographer and a couple of pictures were made.

I went to Bank of Australia, where Mr. O'Brien had my account all fixed up and the impounded fund released; so I had a blank check book and about $3000 in the bank. Drew $100 and went to the Criterion Mercery (haberdasher to you) and bought a wool uniform -- OD shirt and cap and "pinks" (pink trousers) and a tie to match, all for 6/6 ($20.73, as nearly as I could figure it out). It had turned so cold (in mid-summer) that I was shivering in my khaki.

About 4:P.M, Percy Curtis of RKO and J.W. Dent, Editor "Film Weekly", came to my room and invited me down for a "spot". Before we went down, their photographer arrived, and we went up on the roof. Down in the lounge, we had several "spots". As they were leaving, a medical corps man came to my table and asked me to come to his and give his girl an . . .

Wynyard Station

ERB and Sol Lesser, Producer of Tarzan's New York Adventure

 Taxi cab powered by charcoal burning gas

Rare Edgar Rice Burroughs WWII Photos
Col. David Taylor shares eight photos of ERB as a WWII correspondent
from the National Archives in Washington, DC.


Visit our thousands of other sites at:
ERB Text, ERB Images and Tarzan® are ©Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.- All Rights Reserved.
All Original Work ©1996-2019 by Bill Hillman and/or Contributing Authors/Owners
No part of this web site may be reproduced without permission from the respective owners.