Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Tribute Site
Since 1996 ~ Over 10,000 Webpages and Webzines in Archive
Volume 2749


For more 1945 letters from ERB see the Wartime Letters of Edgar Rice Burroughs at ERBzine 1027
Part of our ERB: THE WAR YEARS SERIES ~ ERBzine 1019

Edgar Rice Burroughs
Tarzana  California
1298 Kapiolani Boulevard
Honolulu 42 Hawaii
February 5 1945
February 5 1945Joan darling:

After four days of cold rain and high winds, I finally got off late Friday afternoon, arriving here about 4:30 A.M. (Honolulu time) Saturday, after bucking a 48 mile an hour head wind for 14 hrs and 14 min.

A lieutenant met me at the train in S.F. with a staff car and drove me to the airport, where I was treated wonderfully.  Instructions were given that if there was not a one bed room in the Visiting Officers' Quarters, I was to have a two bed room alone; so I had privacy.  The Visiting Officers' Mess was excellent.  Everything was lovely but the weather, which, of course, you read about in the papers.

Friday morning I was processed, getting another medical examination and vaccination.  A very nice captain rushed me through and then took me to the Officers' Club for luncheon, or rather, dinner. He came back for me later and took me to the plane.  He also got me into compartment B, where I had the lower berth.

After eating four sandwiches, a hard boiled egg, fruit salad, potato salad, cake, crackers, soup, olives, and candy, I took two nembutols and slept two hours.  The rest of the time I was awake. Smoking is allowed in Compartment B and the other passengers were allowed to come up one at a time to smoke.  A couple of good looking flight nurses came up and sat on the edge of my bunk to smoke. An ATC lt col also spent most of the flight up with me.

Phil met me with a staff car and drove me to the Niumalu. where I found that they had waited over two and a half months and then painted my room the day before I was due back.  Everything was piled in the center of the room.  Naturally. I was fit to be tied, I got the manager out of bed about 5:00 A.M. and gave him hell. There wasn't a vacant room in the hotel; so Phil took me out to the Guest House at Shafter - a lovely suite where VIPs are housed.  We sat and drank Bourbon until seven A.M.   Then I took two more nembutols and slept until noon.

My room was still not in order when I got to the hotel.  Mildred Rathbone came along and asked me to her apartment for highballs. Herbie Phillips and Margo Frisbie got hold of me and asked me to go to a cocktail party being given for a friend of ours who had just returned from California with a new bride and two children.

After dinner at the hotel, Henry Mahn asked me to come to his quarters and play Whisky Poker.  There were ten of us. Henry served cherry brandy and regular brandy; so we played until midnight. Yesterday,  I went out to call on Floyd and Sterling Adams.  They had Bourbon. I then stopped at Brownie and Ralph MacMichael's. They had Bourbon.  By that time I had to hurry back to the hotel for the Willey's cocktail party.  They had Scotch.  So I went to
February 5 1945bed right after dinner and read Esquire until I fell asleep.

This evening, I am going with Mary Pflueger to Kit Carson's for cocktails and dinner. Tomorrow noon, I am going with Floyd to Lum Young's farewell luncheon to his son, who has been inducted. Lum serves the most wonderful Chinese food you ever tasted. Have been invited to another party for tomorrow evening, but I declined. Enough is enough.

While I was at the Visiting Officers' Quarters I have mentioned, I was sitting on the edge of my cot looking at the floor, when a guy stopped at my door and asked what was the matter with me. I said, "Nothing." He said, "You look blue."   I replied that I was not blue, I was only waiting. He said, "Come down to my room and wait. I have a bottle of Spanish brandy."    I had never seen him before, and couldn't tell his rank, as he wore only a pair of undershorts.   But I went along with him. He turned out to be a full colonel in the Medical Corps, on his way home to Camden, N.J., on leave from the jungles.

On a table in his room was a full bottle of Green River Bourbon, pre-war, that he was taking home to his wife. After we had dispatched most of the Spanish Brandy, he gave me a carton of Camels and the bottle of Green River. Such are old friends in war time.

I keep thinking of the wonderful times I had back there with all of you. They are very pleasant memories.

Am writing Dorothy to thank her and George for their many kindnesses to me. I shall tell her that I have written you all the horrible details of my life since I left and that rather than write it all over again I am asking you to let her read this letter, if she cares to. Same for Jack and Jane.

All my love to all of you.

Is your Phone State 45666?


Edgar Rice Burroughs
Tarzana, California
1298 Kapiolani Boulevard
Honolulu 42 Hawaii
February 14 1945

February 14 1945Joan darling:
Hulbert got back day before yesterday, and came in and had dinner with me yesterday. He looks and feels fine. He told me that you had been quite ill.  I shall worry until I hear that you are all right again.  I hope that someone has written me about you. You must take good care of yourself.

Hulbert and I finished some 12 year old Scotch I had, sampled some Bourbon and then went to the Outrigger Canoe Club for dinner. He seemed happier than usual. Perhaps a sheaf of letters from Ella Mae could have been responsible. He has decided that married life is the proper estate for every man.  He even asked when I was going to get married!
Have a letter from Ralph since I returned, but nothing more. And I am still avid for letters from those I love.  But I suppose that now that you have a telephone again all your time is devoted to that.

Tonight I am going to dinner at Louise Rogers'. She is having the Ramseys, an important couple here, and Peggy Gohlsen, buyer for a big book department.  Peggy is a tiny. gray haired gal in her sixties (I guess), a lovely person and a very good sport. Lots of fun.

I just phoned Louise to ask what time I was to come, and she said. "Any time between 5:30 and 4:00!   When I laughed, she insisted that she was not drunk - just working too hard. You will like her when you come over to visit me after the goddamn war.

Phil Ford has been after me  for a long time to write my autobiography; and today, with that in mind, I read my 1934 diary. It was rather tragic, yet there were many bright spots - the birth of Mike and my visits to the hospital to see you, and I was surprised to see how many times I saw you and the boys, and that several times you came to one of my numerous homes.

1934 was the year that Hully and Jack and I learned to fly, and Hully cracked up, and Jim Granger was killed in a crack-up. That wrote finis to my flying, but I hadn't remembered that I had over 30 hours of solo flights or how many fields I had made more or less decent landings on. But there was not much in it that would make an autobiography interesting to any one but myself.
February 14 1945I wonder if this kind of letter, devoted to myself and people you don't know, can possibly interest you.   But what else is there for me to write about? You can read all about the war in the papers; and, anyway, I don't know anything about the war,

Boris Karloff is here and wants to meet me. Phil is taking Mildred Rathbone, Edith Peterson, General Fielder, and me (and, of course, Wilma) to see him in Arsenic and Old Lace. I was at the Bird's for dinner the other night, and if Wilma can make it ahead of the stork I shall be surprised.

When Ernie Pyle comes back this way, Phil is going to see that I meet him. I am reading his BRAVE MEN now, the copy that Joan II gave me. Every day I re-read what she wrote on the fly leaf, and my heart swells - "To the "best Grampaw in the world."

It is now 5:10, and I have to shave, shower, dress, and get to Louise's between 5:30 and 4:00. Can I do it?

Lots of love, darling, for you, Joan II, and my first grandson.

Aloha nui nui!



1298 Kapiolani Boulevard
Honolulu 42 Hawaii
24 March 1945

24 March 1945Dear Mike:

Just received your nice letter.  Am glad that you miss me,  I certainly miss you and my two Joans,  It was wonderful to be back there with you for a while.  Maybe I'll be back again sooner than I had expected,

Thirty dollars a month!  Gosh, but that's a lot of jack for two days work a week.  I had no idea they paid so well.  However, there are even better jobs here,  I heard last night of a waitress in one of Honolulu's beer joints who made $800.00 last month, nearly all in tips,  I knew some of then made as high as $500.00, which is plenty. No wonder housewives here can get no domestic help.

What are you doing with your thirty bucks - blowing it or saving it? I know what I would have done at your age (and older - much older) but I hope and believe that you have more sense than I.  In a little while, if you save it, you can buy your girl a mink coat.

There is not much to write you about,  I see Hully quite often now.  He comes in to swim and sun bathe about once a week.   He looks and feels fine. My good friend Phil Bird is in Honolulu.  I talked with his wife the other day, and she said he was going to try to get in touch with your mother.  I hope that he did,  I know you would like him.  He is expected back here next week, Most of my Army and Navy and Marine friends are now scattered all over the world.  Pretty soon they will be headed back here - many of them - when the war in Europe is over and the big push against Japan is under way.  I wish it were all over.

You say you are a bear cub.  What were you before?   I'm a little hazy on this Scout business.   You see, neither Hully nor Jack belonged; and there was no such thing when I was a boy.  As a matter of fact, nobody paid much attention to boys than except to see what they were doing and tell them to stop.

I sure love you, Mike, and I'm very proud of you,  I show that picture of my three grandsons to everybody.

So long!

Edgar Rice Burroughs
Tarzana, California
1298 Kapiolani Boulevard
Honolulu 42 Hawaii
29 March 1945

29 March 1945Joan darling:

Your V...Mail letter of the 22nd reached me yesterday.  Did you know that they do not process V...Mail for civilians? At least none that I have received have been processed; so nothing is gained by using them.

Hope you had a good time at the Carles' open house.  Write me about it.

I have been doing too much partying lately.  I will give you a brief outline:
19 March: To Outrigger for lunch.  The manager said they had Scotch; so I asked him to have one with me.  Saw Charlie Butterworth on beach and had a visit with him.  To the Tommy Kearns for highballs before dinner..  The Kearns used to live at Chatsworth. After I left them, I stopped in at Mildred's.  Mary Howard came, and M mixed us several rum drinks.                        .
20 March: Hulbert came in. We sun bathed and then to Outrigger for lunch and to The Waikiki to see Mrs Partington.  Lew Reaber came in before dinner and we had several highballs.  Hulbert stayed for dinner, after which I drove him to his bus.
21 March: Asked Tom Mee to the cocktail lounge for highballs before dinner.  We had several.  After dinner, bridge with the Willeys and Mildred and some more highballs.
22 March: After dinner, poker at Davey Thompsons - six men. Davey served beer,  I won $3.70.
23 March: Sun bath in afternoon. Two games of cribbage with Mildred. Tom Mee asked me to cocktail lounge before dinner. There were nine of us at the table. Tome was blowing his poker winnings from the night before. After dinner, bridge with Mildred, Edith, and our general friend, who brought a bottle as usual.
24 March: To Cruickshank's cocktail party and buffet supper. I got there at 5:30 and got home at 10:30. It was a grand party. One lady got high, threw her arms around my neck and called me a "goddam son-of-a-bitch" because I hadn't remembered meeting her a few weeks before. Then she went over in a corner and fell down.  Sounds like Hollywood.
25 March: Gene Langford asked me to come to his Quarters after dinner.  He was entertaining three Navy officers and a couple of civilians.  Gene was serving gin, Bourbon, and champagne.  It developed into quite a party.
26 March: Mark Hawley asked me to his quarters after dinner. He had three Navy officers and two Niumalu girls.  Another party.
27 March: Hully came, bringing a bottle.  We sun bathed, lunched at the Outrigger, and then drove to the the Adamses' Kahala home, where Hully took pictures for a couple of hours.  Back at my quarters, we played poker and nearly finished the bottle before dinner. After dinner I drove Hully to his bus.  Then I walked down to the tennis court looking for trouble,  I found it.  Tom.
29 March 1945Tom Mee came along, and we decided to go to my quarters and play cribbage.  There was something left in Hully's bottle, and more in one of mine.  When we had finished these. I sent Tom back to his quarters for a bottle he had.  We played until around midnight.

28 March:  A lt col friend, whom I last saw on Tarawa, had asked me to have dinner with him at Trader Vic's.  He came about 5:30 with another AC lt col whom I had met on Tarawa, and a Navy Warrant Officer.  I took them all to the cocktail lounge for highballs. We had quite a few.  After dinner at Trader Vic's we came back to my quarters and opened a bottle of PM that my host had brought me.

29 March: The day is yet young.

The above is an easy way to fill a letter without effort.  It is also easy for you, as you don't have to read it.   Anyway, I haven't much of anything else to write about,  I read an awful lot. Am now trying to wade through Clauswits on War.  Very dull.

I asked you the date of Jane's birthday. Which car did you keep?

Lots of love to you all.



1298 Kapiolani Boulevard
Honolulu 42 Hawaii
20 April 1945

20 April 1945Joan darling:

Received your letter of the 16th today.  Thanks so much for the offer of your stock.  I don't know what Ralph will decide about the feasibility of making the transfers as gifts.  He definitely disapproved of sales for tax reasons.  I wonder if Americans will ever again be able to do what they wish with what belongs to them without being penalized.

Shall look forward to receiving the picture of Joanne.  Wish that I had a good one of you, too.

Hully was in again Tuesday.  He likes to come in to sun bathe and swim.  He is looking fine.

Sol Lesser's son. Bud, a Marine Corps captain, took me out to Camp Catlin for dinner that same evening.  He is a very nice chap.  Had invited several other officers to meet me, and after cocktails and a swell dinner, he ran three training films for us.

Life goes on in the same old way at the Niumalu.  Mary and Sue gave a big cocktail party Wednesday, and yesterday evening The Niumalu Chowder and Marching Club met, as it does every Thursday.  I won $8.80.  Millie and I play cribbage several times a week.  I almost always lose at that.  But at bridge I am a little luckier - if I play with our regular foursome. It looks now as though I should never get home - too many obstacles in the way.  Also, I shan't live forever.

Lots of love,


10 May 1945

10 May 1945Dear Mike:

Your V-Mail letter came barging right through in seventeen days. I discovered some time ago why people use V-Mail stationary. They can fill the page up in nothing flat.  As I told your Mother, it not processed; so there is no other point in using it.

Hulbert just phoned and I gave him your message.  He says you are a cute kid.  I knew that.  He is coming in tonight and wants to borrow my car, as the MPs tag jeeps parked on the streets except in certain spots where officers are supposed to go.  Evidently Hully is not going where he is supposed to go.  He and some of his officer friends come in occasionally for a steak dinner.

He was in Tuesday and we had dinner at the Outrigger Canoe Club, where they have very good food.

I suppose that you all celebrated V-E day back there.  About the only thing out of the ordinary that happened here was that the saloons were all closed for 48 hours.  Only they are not called saloons any more, just cocktail bars, General Dispensers, etc.

A cub scout drowned here last week in a heroic effort to save a playmate from drowning.  The latter, who could not swim, fell into deep water in a lake; and the cub jumped in after him.  But the other boy got panicky and grabbed the cub around the neck.  So they both drowned.  Have you been taught what to do in a case like that?   There may be some more modern way, but we were taught to clip the savee on the chin and knock him out - even if he were a girl.

So you have Tuffy!   He is cute, but you can have him.  I sort of thought that maybe I'd get myself a well trained German shepard when I got home, because I shall be living alone.  But I guess I won't.  It would just be another responsibility, and if I wanted to travel, I'd have to farm the dog out.  If he got sick, I'd have to nurse him.  If he died, I'd feel terribly.    So no dog.

Lots of love,

U. S. S. CAHABA (AO-82)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Somewhere In the Pacific
Sunday 27 May 1945

Sunday 27 May 1945Joan darling:

As you have learned through Hulbert, I am off again on another adventure.  This one bids fair to be the best of all.  It will certainly be the plushest.  It all came about in nothing flat, because Dr. Wieman. phoned me late one afternoon that he was in Honolulu and had recently seen Jack and Jane.  He had his skipper with him, and I took them to dinner at the Outrigger.  And at 1:55 the next afternoon I went aboard their ship.  I didn't know for sure that I was going until 12:00 noon,  I had to do some tall hustling in two hours, but I made it.

Hulbert went to the ship with me, and later Phil came aboard to say goodby.  We all had to cross the channel at Pearl Harbor, as the ship was tied up on the opposite side.  It was mighty nice of Phil to go to all the trouble he did to come down, I dragooned Hully, but he will be repaid by the use of the Buick while I am away.

This ship is a fleet oiler.  It meets task forces and gives them gas and oil at sea.  I am looking forward to seeing this operation which must be thrilling.

Am living and eating much better than I do at the Niumalu.  The Captain installed me in his quarters - two big rooms, a swell bath, a steward and a mess attendant.  I have been eating with the Captain, but shall go to some of the other messes occasionally.  As usual, everybody is swell to me. Unlike the merchant tankers, this is an all-Navy ship.  It has a complement of about 21 officers and 250 men, and, thank the Lord, a slew of guns.  It is heavily laden and rides like a Pullman, only much more quietly - no vibration at all.  It rolls constantly, and quite considerably.  Am slowly getting my sea legs, but I still stagger a lot.  At night the motion rocks you to sleep.  It is nothing like a destroyer in that respect,  I used to have to hang on tight sometimes to keep from being rocked out of my bunk in a destroyer.  Last night I slept for eight hours straight and then another for good measure.

Yesterday we had fire drill and also fired at balloons released from the bridge.  We have sighted whales and porpoises and a wooden box. Anything you sight in this empty sea is exciting.  The ship is darkened from sundown to sunrise, but as my quarters are blacked out I can use the reading light over my bunk.  Before I turned in last night I went up to the bridge to have a look-see.  The night was beautiful - a calm sea, a full moon, the Southern Cross quite high
Sunday 27 May 1945above the horizon, a soft and balmy wind.  Our white wake stretched out for miles behind us, plainly marking our zig-zagging course, and the white water from bow to stern boiled silver in the moonlight.

This is a big ship (at least big to me),  I should say that it was as large as a small cruiser.  It is kept scrupulously clean.  There is no formality, but the discipline is fine.  The men are in dungarees, and the officers discarded their neckties and opened their shirts as soon as they came aboard.  So did I.  I already hate to think of leaving her, but as she may be out for a year I shall probably have to.  My travel orders permit me to return at any time on any Navy ship or plane that can take me.

Until after we got under way, I did not know where the ship was bound for; and the Skipper doesn't know where we may go from there. Anyway, it looks like a lot of excitement but not very much danger. It may be some time before we touch any place where I can mail this, so it will be plenty long before you get it.  I shall probably add to it from time to time.  Please let Jack and Jane read it.  There is no use writing the same things over again to them.  Then, when I write them, you can read their letters.

Shall post a letter to D at your address.  I have no other and I owe two.  In the last one, it seemed that. D would be back in California quite soon.

3 June 1945

As you can read the letter that I wrote Jack yesterday, there is nothing more to add.

Lots of love, darling, to you and the children.

Edgar Rice Burroughs

Edgar Rice Burroughs
UP Correspondent
U. S. S. CAHABA (AO-82)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
In Port Somewhere,
10 June 1945

10 June 1945Joan Darling:

We are still at anchor, nor do we know exactly when we shall pull out of here - maybe in four or five days. I hope that you will write me. It is very possible that I shall receive any letters written me, as I may be out quite a while yet. It seems we have only commenced to start.

It has all been tremendously interesting, the only drawback being the damnable tropical heat. It is almost prostrating, and it affects about everybody the same way.   But our next move will probably be farther north, where it will be cooler. Several days ago I called on the Atoll Commander and asked permission for some of the ship's officers and me to visit the island where all the natives have been congregated, the island being Off Limits for all service personnel. He very kindly gave the necessary orders, and yesterday morning a Navy tug called for five of the Cahaba's officers and me. All together, we were a party of about thirty, including some ten or more Army and Navy nurses.

Each party contributed sandwiches, in addition to which we took along several cases of beer and plenty of ice. As usual, it was pretty rough in the lagoon; and as the main deck of the tug was being swept by nearly every wave, I went up to the flying bridge where the roll of the ship is far more noticeable - and did she roll! I hung onto a gun tripod all the way over to the island in order to keep my feet under me.

Arrived off the island, we transferred to an LCI: but she couldn't get her ramp onto the beach; so I jumped off in water up to my knees, getting my shoes full of coral sand and ocean.

We went all through the village with a Public Relations Officer explaining things to us. There were two Navy photographers along, and several of the party had cameras, including Dr. Wieman; so I should be able to add some interesting pictures to ny already large collection.

We were introduced to the king, an infantile paralysis victim who is pushed around in a two wheel cart, and he shook hands with each of us. There are about 250 natives in the village. They are Micronesians. They were very friendly and seemed quite happy to have us stare at and photograph them.

The married women wear a sort of lava lava around their hips, all other females wear a type of grass skirt that was entirely new to me. Not being a dress maker, I can't describe it. The men were the first aborigines I had ever seen who wore nothing but a very sketchy G-string.
10 June 1945The older men were all tattooed. Most of then had designs covering their entire torsos, arms, and legs. If they had a mad on, those old fellows could have looked mighty ferocious; but they were all smiling. And did they love to he photographed.

I was going to be photographed with one of them; so I called in a nurse from Los Angeles whom Dr. Wieman knew, and she was photographed between her two boy friends.

We had a swell picnic lunch in the village; then I hunted along the beach for shells. I have never seen such a dearth of shells on any South Pacific beach, and managed to get only a couple of inferior ones.

Returning to the LCI I took off my shoes and sox this time, but I still got my pants wet. The return trip was even rougher than the other. I stood up again all the way - nearly an hour - and was I tired! The Port Director and the PRO invited us all to come to a dance on another island, which would have meant two long trips in a motor launch in rough water, I begged off, but I am afraid that I shall have to do it later on. Trips on this lagoon in small boats give one a terrific beating, but getting on and off the damned things is hell for me, I am so clumsy, I practically take my life in my hands every time I transfer from one bobbing, rolling thing to another bobbing and rolling in the opposite direction.   But I'm having fun.


Was just called to the starboard boat deck to be photographed with the Bos'n and two carpenters mates and a chair. The Bos'n designed and the two mates, built the chair and presented it to me the other day.   Everybody on the ship is swell to me. Every one has a smile. The Captain has been good enough to say that my presence aboard has done much for the morale of the crew. I hope so. There is not much else I could do for them.

The eight Chiefs had me down in their wardroom for supper Friday. Filet of beef, avocado salad, french fried potatoes, ice cream and cake. The Chiefs are the highest ranking enlisted men - the "backbone of the Navy". We live better way out here than a lot of people do in the States - and with no ration coupons.

In the midst of this letter I had a session of bridge with three officers. Being a correspondent is rugged, Lots of love to you all, and please write.

Edgar Rice Burroughs

Edgar Rice Burroughs
UP Correspondent
U. S. S. CAHABA (AO-82)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
At Anchor In a Harbor in the East China Sea
23 June 1945

23 June 1945Joan darling:

We are pulling out for our former port this afternoon; so if a ship doesn't come alongside before, this won't be mailed for several days.

I have seen and experienced a great deal up here. Was ashore on Okinawa the morning after General Buckner was killed. I had met him in Honolulu shortly before he took command of the 10th Army. Lt. Genl. Richardson introduced me to him at Shafter. He was a very fine and popular officer and a great loss.

Have visited one of the islands of the group among which we are anchored. The first time I went to the officers' recreation area with a Navy captain. He took along a colored mess attendant and several bottles of Bourbon. We found a bunch of destroyer captains there with Johnny Walker Black Label Scotch. Also a colonel who is Island Commander. After "recreation", I went back to the Captain's ship for supper. Then he sent me to the Cahaba in his gig, a very plush job. A gig is the only small boat I can board from a ship without falling down and generally endangering my life, it being replete with hand-holds.

The Island Commander Invited us to visit him the next day; so my Navy Captain called for me about 2:30, and we cavorted to the Army landing on the island - about three miles from the Cahaba. The Colonel met us in his jeep and showed us around. He drove us to two Jap towns where the mayors entertained us with tea and cakes while I talked with then through our interpreter, an AJA from Honolulu.

Between the two towns we went beyond our lines and into enemy country, where I had the distinction of being fired at by a Jap sniper - a lousy shot. Then, on our return to my ship, which had changed its station and had to be hunted for, a Jap suicide plane came over us. Ships around us were firing at it. I saw it drop a bomb on a large ship and then crash dive into another. It hit the first ship and set it afire. There must have been many casualties. The second ship shot it down at the last second.

We were called to battle stations several more times that night, but as I couldn't see anything because of the smoke screen that was laid down, I took my bunk as my battle station and went to bed. It must have been a big night in this area, as we are reported to have shot down thirty-seven enemy planes.
23 June 1945It was quite an interesting day for OB.

I hope that some of you folks have written me and that I shall find letters from you when I reach port a few days hence.

Do not know how much longer I shall stay out.  The Skipper and other officers tell me I am doing a great morale lifting job for the crew.  They say that they can tell by the letters they censor.  As usual, every one is wonderful to me.  I sure get a great kick out of life.

Lots of love to you and the children.  I think of you a great deal.

Edgar Rice Burroughs
1298 Kapiolani Boul
Honolulu 42 Hawaii

Mrs Joan Burroughs Pierce
4230 Stanstury Avenue
Sherman Oaks

14 July 1945

14 July 1945Joan darling:

As soon as my ship dropped anchor here yesterday the mail clerk was sent away with the mail, and I went with him to see about transportation to Pearl. Through the good offices of the Public Information Officer it was arranged that I leave by plane at one o'clock. But this necessitated my getting back to my ship immediately to pack my gear and get to the island where the air strip is located in nothing flat or less.

As my ships' (you know what I mean, and I have no eraser) motor launch was getting to be tied up for too long, PUBINFO got me an LCVP and sent me back to my ship. The LCVP stood by until I packed my gear, and then started off this island where I now am. It was then noon and I was supposed to be here before 1:00.  I asked the coxswain how long it would take to make the trip, and he said from an hour to an hour and a half. I told him I had bo be here before 1:00; so he opened the throttle.

If you have never been on an LCVP cruising at full speed - don't. The other member of the crew and I sat on life jackets under a tarpaulin forward. That part of the ocean that was not beneath us came over on top of us, but we made it in 35 minutes! And then I learned that my plane had been cancelled; so here I am, and for how long I do not know. But everyone has certainly made it very pleasant for me.

The Commanding Officer of this Marine Air Base gave upx (damn!) practically the entire afternoon for me, drove me around the island, showing me the very interesting set-up. I was located in the Biltmore in FLYSPECK HOTEL. The Biltmore is a tent. FLYSPECK HOTEL is a large group of tents - Officer Country.

At 4:30 I foregathered in the Officers' Club with three young ensigns whom we had taken aboard our ship farther north. They are on their way to the States for flight training. We discussed Bourbon highballs until nearly 6:00 - Bourbon highballs, and darned good ones, at 10 cents each!

14 July 1945At 6:00 I went to the quarters of the Commanding Officer of the MARINE AIR GROUP that is stationed here. Several other officers were there and some more highballs. Then to the Officers' Mess for chow, after which we returned to the Colonel's quarters, where a padre told us about the natives of this atoll until around 10:00 P.M.  It was extremely interesting.

Instead of returning to the Biltmore I was put up for the night in the Colonel's Guest House - a 20x20 tent with a plank deck and an electric light. The Colonel brought me a large thermos full of drinking water and a tin hat for a wash basin. Wherever I go people are nice to me, but no one has ever been any nicer than these Marines. This morning the Colonel got me a typewriter and stationery, and I am writing now in his quarters.

And now I get to the reason for this letter. It is to tell you that my mail, if any, reached the ship after I had left ; so I have had no mail since we were here before 27 June. It will, however, be forwarded to me. This will also advise you that I shall probably be in Honolulu before this reaches you.
I may get a plane out today, and I may not. It will take me to an island I have never visited; and even if I can get immediate transportation to Pearl, I expect to remain over for at least one day in order to see something of the island. It would be stupid not to.

I hope that you are all as well and happy as I.

Please phone Ralph and tell him that I am on my way to Honolulu.

Lots of love, Darling,
Edgar Rice Burroughs


1298 Kapiolani Boulevard
Honolulu 42 Hawaii
15 August 1945

15 August 1945Dear Mike:

I had just finished reading letters from you and Jack yesterday and was writing Jack when the air raid sirens announced the end of the war at 1:45 P.M.(HWT).  It was wonderful.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening celebrating with numerous friends.  Hully and one of his friends came in and joined us.  A good time was had by all.

Hully is still waiting for his ship to sail.  He may have to wait a long time, or it might sail any day.  He will be glad to get home and I know that you will be glad to see him.  I do not know what I am going to do.  If I were certain that I could rent an apartment around Beverly Hills or Westwood, I'd come home right away.  But the chances are that I shall stay here until there is some likelihood of my being able to build at Tarzana.

So you are captain of your baseball team!  Good!  What position do you play?  I hope you win all your games. Jack's pool sounds good to me.  He wrote me that he built it out of  "odd bits of paper and the backs of letter heads".

The enclosed check is for your birthday.  I gave up trying to find anything for you here; so you will have to buy what you want there. I hope that you had a very happy birthday and that I shall be there for your next.  The 1000 Pesos note is just another souvenir for your collection.  It is one that General Fielder brought back from Manila.

Oodles of love, my dear boy, from


Edgar Rice Burroughs
Tarzana, California
September 23, 1945

September 23, 1945Dear Joan:

I have your nice letter and one from Mike, which I very much enjoy.

As I wrote Ralph today. I had a heart attack recently which will probably keep me in bed for some tine. I am improving rapidly and in no danger.

Marian phoned today that she is leaving on the Matsonia tomorrow. I am sure that you will like her as she is a sweet girl.

Through Phil's courtesy, Pfc Donard Hawks is taking dictation, as the doctor will not let me exert myself in any way.

Lots of love,


23 October 1945

23 October 1945Joan darling:

Thank you so much for your letter of the 18th. Don't think that I do not appreciate your willingness to take me in, but I know that you must agree with me that it is better otherwise. Those things just do not work out. And I want you all to keep on loving me, which you couldn't do if you had to live with me. I am a cantankerous old so-and-so.

It is not just my family that I wouldn't inflict myself on - it is all and sundry.

You ask how much I want to pay for a place. All I can afford. Ask Ralph how much that is. He probably knows better then I do, but I'd go pretty high for a nice place to live, having no wives to support.

Just this minute had a radiogram saying that Jack would meet me in SF. That is good. Only a few more days!   I am sure that none of you can imagine how much I want to be with you. Good judgement told me, as it did you, that I should stay on over here for a while longer but I am fed up, and I had to get back to you. I have many good friends here - wonderful friends - but they are not MINE.

So the Major and the Mrs. are not back yet!   What a honeymoon! They must be having a wonderful time, Hulbert deserves one. He is a grand guy. When his eight hundred smackers are gone, he'll come home and be just what he has been calling me: "A goddam civilian." I hope that Marian, being a non-drinker, will have a beneficial influence on Hulbert, the souse.   I am sure that you will love her, even on Coca Cola.

Phil Bird and Capt. Johnson were in a little while ago. Phil brought me two cartons of Camels and I ordered some more steaks. The Army has kept me fed for weeks. This is my 57th day confined to my room, and most of the time in bed. Every one is wonderful to me. You would love them all. Mildred Rathbone, whose car I bought and never have driven has done all my errands for me. Mary Howard and Sue Brown have furnished me with an electric fan and a wonderful two burner electric plate on which my nurse, Miss Wilson (she is almost as old as I) cooks my luncheons. Grace (Grace Tomeko Nagaro Correles) brings my breakfasts and dinners, Anselmo Augustin Felipe, my room boy, brings me clean sheets and towels every day (contrary to hotel rules). But for them, I should be sunk. I should have married Grace long ago so that I could have had a good waitress and an extra bottle of booze every week when it was rationed, but Charlie Correles beat me to it, getting Grace "that way" and having to marry her.


So Millie came in, mad Texas came in, and the Doctor came in; and now it  is time for
23 October 1945Grace to come in with my cold dinner. I'll be seeing you.

Lots of love to you all.

Oh! I nearly missed this, Hi! DEN MOTHER! There isn't anything that you could do for my Mike that would be enough. I show his picture to everybody and brag about him and Johnny and Danny just as though I had had something to do about it.  If I wanted fame, all I'd have to do would have been to show my three grandsons and my glamorous Joan II to the goggle eyed world. If that didn't flatten them, I'd have trotted out you and the rest of my pulchritudinous family.

The last time I wrote Dorothy I told her that the best thing she could do was to go back with Dick to George and let things work themselves out. I haven't heard from her for a long time.

Grace should now be here.

Good night and much love.



Edgar Rice Burroughs
Tarzana, California
November 29, 1945

November 29, 1945Mrs. Charles Westendarp,
P.O. Levanon
New Jersey
Dear Marjorie:

Thanks a lot for the information about the walnuts. You gave me a lot of data on what to mix with which, but you didn't tell me what to do with them after I got them mixed. They are supposed to be boiled, or aren't they? I have written to the Department of Agriculture, asking if they have any information on the pickling of walnuts, so maybe they'll tell me whether or not to boil them and how long.

I certainly hate to think of the God-awful weather you have back there, and I don't blame you for wanting to come here. After nearly six years in Honolulu and the South and Southwest Pacific, I find it pretty cold here at times, especially early in the mornings, but I don't mind it.

Hulbert and Marion are getting into their house Saturday and I am almost settled in mine, but can't really get to housekeeping until the contractor finishes building servants' quarters for me. We each have a nice little place here in the Valley. Mine is only perhaps a mile-and-a-half from the office, and Hulbert's is quite close to Joan. As Jack lives at Tarzana, we are all quite close to one another but far enough away so that we can't fight too much.

The wide place in the road which you ask about is the Town of Tarzana, which is where the old home was. Joan lives about six miles east in Sherman Oaks, and Hulbert and I between her home and the office.

My kindest regards to Charles and a lot of love to you.


Visit our thousands of other sites at:
ERB Text, ERB Images and Tarzan® are ©Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.- All Rights Reserved.
All Original Work ©1996-2009 by Bill Hillman and/or Contributing Authors/Owners
No part of this web site may be reproduced without permission from the respective owners.