ERB  portrait by John Coleman Burroughs
 From Tarzana, California
Memories from the 
Danton Burroughs
Family Archive
Volume 1035
Danton Burroughs: ERB Grandson

Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Dean of Correspondents in the WWII Pacific Theatre
An Illustrated Time Line of Events
1942: The War Years
Collated by Bill Hillman

Wartime Journals of Correspondent Edgar Rice Burroughs :: December 1942-April 1943
or Buck Burroughs Rides Again

Featured here is a timeline summary of ERB's 60-page Wartime Journal
with added photos compiled by Bill Hillman
The entire actual journal pages are featured at:

1942  ERBzine 1035
*  ERB contributed a one-page article for a series titled "Famous Living Americans and Their Homes," which was being featured by Perfect Home magazine. It was rejected.

January: Beyond the Farthest Star, part 1 of the Poloda series, appeared in Blue Book ($400). The sequel, Tangor Returns, was apparently never submitted but appeared in print 24 years later.
January 18: Hully enlisted in the Army Air Corps at Hickam Field and served as a military photographer.
Hickam Field
January 27: Headquarters authorized a flight in a Flying Fortress for Ed. He was hoping that the Fortress spotted a Jap sub.
B-17 Flying Fortress
January 27: A Pathe Newsreel man working with Hulbert on a motion picture of army life told Ed that Hully was considered the top photographer of AAF.
Pathe Newsreel Men
January 28: The "Laugh It Off" column was discontinued. Ed was seeking a more active war role. He was quite active in the civilian Businessmen's Military Training Corps as public relations officer and as a drill instructor.
Fellow BMTC Officers
January 29: Ed went to the pistol range to try to qualify with a .45 Colt for a permit to carry a gun.
Colt 45
February: The Return to Pellucidar ("Hodon and O-AA") appeared in Amazing Stories.
February 2: I Am A Barbarian was submitted to Red Book. It was rejected and did not appear until 1967 when it was published by ERB Inc.
March: Men of the Bronze Age appeard in Amazing Stories.
March 9: Ed complained to Senator Hiram Johnson of the peril facing California as a result of the weak defences at Hawaii.
March 13:  Star-Bulletin published "Dry Firing' Makes Experts In BMTC Ranks" by ERB, Public Relations Officer for BMTC.
March 18: ERB sent a letter of protest to Colonel Bourland over the treatment of the BMTC by the military.
March 23: Ed received the documents of the final property settlement with Florence.
March 26: Star-Bulletin published "Undermining of Morale is Type of Sabotage" by ERB, BMTC Public Relations Officer
*  Ed wrote Washington to try  to have Hulbert's ROTC commission re-instated. He was currently holding the rank of corporal.
Tiger Girl appeared in Amazing Stories.
April 1: Ed completed the first of a series of radio programs which CBS planned to air weekly on the mainland.
April 14: Ed was promoted to major in the BMTC, a guard regiment composed of some 1200 Caucasian citizens. He served as the Public Relations Officer and drill instructor.
April 15: Ed and Hully took photos of each other in uniform.
April 27: Ashton Dearholt died. He was Florence's former husband, father of Lee and Caryl Lee, and Ed's partner in the production of the New Adventures of Tarzan in Guatemala.
Ashton DearholtNew Adventures of Tarzan Movie PosterAshton and future wife Ula Holt in Adventures of Tarzan in GuatemalaAshton and Florence Dearholt before divorce
ERB's Step Children: Lee and Caryl Lee with ERB's brother-in-law, Edward Gilbert in 1999
April 30: ERB made an inspection tour of island defences with Major Frank Steere, Hawaiian Provost Marshall.
May 1: Ed reported that he was Plans & Training Officer for the regiment with a staff of three BMTC officers.
May 4: The Honolulu Advertiser reported the finalizing of the Burroughs divorce. Florence was granted a divorce in Juarez, Mexico.
May 19: "Oahu: Singapore or Wake?" article was printed in the Honolulu Adviser. Ed expressed his impatience with the limited participation of the BMTC and civilian apathy.
June 12: Hully received a commission -- 2nd Lieutenant -- and was sent to the Solomon Islands, Guadalcanal, etc. as a documentary and combat photographer.
Ed's telegraph to family in Tarzana announcing Hully's promotion
June 22: Birth of a baby, John, to Jack and Jane back in California.
John Burroughs with mother Jane Ralston Burroughs
July 13: "Don't Let 'em Kid You, Joe" - News Bulletin appeared in the Honolulu Advertiser
Tarzan's New York Adventure with Weissmuller and O'Sullivan was released by MGM.
August 3: Ed was guest speaker at a dinner given by the Schofield Barracks Quarterbacks Club at the Chun Hoon residence.
Schofield BarracksSchofield Barracks
August 4: Met with officers of an Anti Aircraft artillery regiment and gave a talk to 25 or 30 officers at an officers' school after lunch. Possible co-ordination of BMTC and AA was discussed.
August 5: Popa Ed sent snapshots for Joan and Jack in a Letter home to Joan. He reported that Hully was in town and that they had played poker and tennis followed by a night at the movies: The Man Who Came to Dinner. Ed had been invited to participate in AA practice shooting at a target behind a tow plane. Hulbert had been recommended for a first lieutenancy.
August 5 letter to Joan
September: Ed socialized with many officers of the Signal Corps, Intelligence, Anti-Aircraft Brigade, etc. He entered into a battle of wits with the Signal Corps - each trying to baffle the other with coded messages - "undecipherable ciphers."
September: Ed resigned in frustration over the limited role of the BMTC but was lured back when offered the position of liaison officer. He received credentials as a combat correspondent for United Press.
September 7: Hulbert was posted to Air Force bases in the South Pacific as a documentary and combat photographer. He came under intense fire at Guadalcanal.
September 10: Ed resigned in frustration over the limited role of the BMTC but was lured back when offered the position of liaison officer.
September 30: Ed hosted one of many radio shows for BMTC - this one featured many of his military friends as guests.
November 2: Ed sent a thank-you letter to George Carlin who had sent United Press correspondent's credentials.
Ed's Correspondents Card
November: The Navy ordered Ed to abandon his office but he refused to comply.
November 13: ERB  completed an article reporting on a year of martial law in the Islands.
December 1:   ERB contributed "Somewhere on Oahu" - News Bulletin - N.Y. World
December 4: Hulbert was promoted to 1st Lieutenant.
December 4: Ed received orders to depart the next morning in his role as war correspondent. Under Hully's experienced supervision he packed his B-4 and musette bag but couldn't stay within the required 55 lb limit. Also added his "tin hat" and typewriter.
Musette BagEd and his tin hat
December 4 - January 19, 1943: ERB began the first in a series of war diaries: Happenings in New Caledonia and Australia. During this reporting mission he filed 25 unpublished stories. Burroughs compiled the highlights of these diaries into a 60-page, typed, single-spaced document that he presented to family members: "The Diary of a Confused Old Man or Buck Burroughs Rides Again."

December 5: Ed and Hully ate an early morning breakfast in the blacked out Niumalu kitchen. They reached the airfield at 8 A.M. -- the start of what would be a 7000 journey for Ed. He flew on a C-87 (a converted B-24 bomber) to New Caledonia via Canton Island and Fiji. On board were nine lieutenants -- new fighter pilots flying into action. Ed got their autographs. It was a typically noisy, rough, dark, cramped and cold B-24 flight. The aircraft was flying at 9,000 feet and cold wind entered through the gun turret openings. He stood up and kept moving to keep from freezing.  The pilot Ed a chance to fly the ship but he declined, remembering his bad experience in becoming lost on a solo flight to Pomona years back. They crossed the equator and International Date Line on this very long flight to barren Canton Island. Correspondents were accorded Officer privileges so he ate and bunked in the Officers' Quarters. Most everyone he met was a Tarzan fan.

B-24Canton Island MapTreeless Canton Island
December 7 (a day was lost crossing the Date Line): They flew out of Canton Island at 7:30 A.M.. and stopped at Nandi, Viti Levu, Fiji - a lush tropical island. There was time for sightseeing and a few drinks with the pilot before bedtime.
Canton IslandCanton IslandFiji Map
December 8:  6:30 departure. Ed experienced the excitement of takeoff and a low flight around the tropical island. At 11:46 A.M. they landed at Plaines des Gaiacs at the northwest end of New Caledonia. The officers -- most of them Tarzan fans -- gave Ed a warm welcome. At 1 P.M. he flew to Tontouta 30 miles from the southern end of the island and was taken by command car to Noumea to check into the officers' quarters at the Grand Hotel du Pacifique. Here he met Lt. Ballanger who had gone to Pomona with Jack and Jane, then old acquaintance Hal Thompson, husband to long-time family friend, actress Rochelle Hudson.
New Caledonia MapNew Caledonia Airfield with incoming P-38sGrand Hotel
December 9: Ed visited a village of grass thatched huts close to St. Louis Mission (French Catholic) - a place famous for its rum production. Photographer Corporal Wold took many photos of Ed with natives and the Grand Chief following their exchange of gifts.
Ed and New Caledonia residentOld artistic depiction of native life on New CaledoniaNatives
December 10:  Q.M. provided Ed with a 1942 Willys jeep and gas mask.
Bouncing Baby ~ 1941 Willys JeepGas Mask
December 11: The Signal Corps took photos of officers signing Ed's autograph book. He met Frank J. Cuhel of Mutual Broadcasting Systems (later killed in clipper crash at Lisbon).
'40s radioClipper
December 12: Ed drove to the camp of crack 112th Cavalry outfit in Dumbea River Valley. His accompanying photographer took photos of Ed with the cavalry horses.
Ed with officers of the 112th cavalry
Click for full-sized image & info
Cannon overlooking Noumea harbour
View from Mount Koghi
December 13: (Sunday): Ed spent the day settling in and getting supplies. He set up his typewriter in a tiny lanai opening onto the main island road with its 24-hour stream of noisy and dusty military traffic. Officers invited him to an evening poker party and they formed the Noumea Chowder and Marching Club.
Underwood Portable
December 14 - 16: The days were spent getting to know the officers and fellow correspondents -- mainly in poker parties. A captain gave him a bunch of full-page color comics from the L.A. Times - the first he'd seen in a year.
December 17: Drove to Dumbea Valley to do a story of Royal Navy lieutenant, John Templeton -- now a private with the 112th Cavalry. Wold took many photos (they didn't turn out) of the troops. He then inspected batteries overlooking the harbour and had a look at a rather attractive native leper colony.
Dumbea River ValleyNatives on the Dumbea River
December 18: Hurricane season -- there were numerous threats of hurricanes in the vicinity.
December 19: Ed picked up a Negro soldier on way to Tontouta, who directed him to the First Parachute Battalion, USMC. They had recently suffered 50% combat casualties and were here to train replacements
December 20: Ed and Lt. Ramsey explored the island's east side with its unusual scenery of jungle and bare volcanic hills. He picked up hitchhikers along the way: a Free French soldier and two Melanesians. During their drive along the bay to the south side of the island they had to get gasoline from a passing army truck. There were free fuel dumps alongside the highways all over the island. During supper, groups of visiting nurses all wanted to meet the famous creator of Tarzan.
Island jungle vegetation
December 21: Ed interviewed the island governor, Col. Henri Montchamp with aid of an interpreter. He later got permission to fly out on a plane leaving Tontouta on the 24th. The next visit was to the construction site of a new mess and was fascinated by the extensive use of bamboo and thatch in the building structure and contents.
Native thatched building with latrine at rearGuard HutNative Hut
December 22: Ed was talked into posing for silly pictures -- one with Ngatijem, his Javanese room girl. (The film was lost.)
December 23: His mess bill - board and room - Dec. 8 to 23 - was $13.60!  The Army transported Ed and other officers 28 miles to Tontouta in preparation for next morning's flight to Viti Levu and on to Australia.
TontoutaTontouta Airport
December 24:  Ed and twelve passengers boarded a DC-3 Marine transport and flew out at 5:15. They arrived at Sydney's Mascot Field at 12:00 Australian time after a rough trip: many hours, no food, no smoking, and not enough seats. Ed's new portable typewriter fell off the roof of the navy bus transporting them into the city. All the hotels were packed but he and Ham Freeman got rooms at Usher's Hotel. Ed expected a letter from Ralph with information that would help him pick up ERB, Inc. frozen Australian royalties. He spent Christmas Eve with three girls, Ham and an Australian captain.
DC-3 Cargo PlaneSydney harbour and bridge
December 25: Ed spent Christmas day writing stories, chatting with a P-38 fighter pilot from Guadacanal and finally going out for a late-night steak supper.
December 26: He delivered a story to the censor and headed for the Botanical Gardens.
Botanical Gardens, Sydney, AustraliaGovernment House at Sydney's Botanical Gardens
December 27 (Sunday): Ed joined the holiday crowd on the Manly Ferry on a 35-minute trip through Sydney Harbor to Manly - an Australian version of Coney Island. He carried on with his sightseeing around Sydney on a camouflaged double decker bus and then took a tram over the famous Sydney bridge. He returned to Usher's for poker, drinks and supper.
Manly across the harbour from SydneyManly BeachView of Sydney and bridge from Taronga Zoo
December 28: He had being trying to get his laundry done and find a place for a haircut for days without success - everything was closed during this holiday season. Ed reflected on meeting so many great and interesting people but noted that his only real friend after all these years was Bert Weston.
Bert Weston
December 29: End of holidays brought clean clothes and a haircut at last. Ed met Pat Robinson of the International News Service -- oldest correspondent until OB came upon the scene. He wrote in Ed's autograph book: "The Dean until Tarzan showed up." Ed and Ham went to the Lyceum to see a Blondie picture and Francot Tone in "A Yank in Dutch" -- "... probably the silliest picture I have ever seen."
Ed's ID WWII card
December 30:  Ed was taken to lunch at the War Correspondents' table at Romano's. He and Ham drove over to a hospital to get stories from wounded soldiers. They joined a group of Americans, including four nurses, to cook steaks in an apartment gathering.
December 31: Ed did a series of interviews and photo shoots with The Sydney Daily Mirror, Sydney Sun, Cinesound Review (newsreel), the Herald, and the Sydney Daily Telegraph. He celebrated New Year's Eve in the hotel lounge. Toasts were given to President Roosevelt and His Majesty the King and national anthems were sung.
King George VIPresident Roosevelt

Updates will be added to this timeline as more dates become available.

The Dean of WWII Correspondents in the Pacific
Edgar Rice Burroughs: The War Years
ERB WWII Time Line: 1940-1942 ERB WWII Time Line: 1943-1945 Photos  40-42   Photos 43-45
1940 Letters 1940 Letter Highlights 1940 Illustrated Timeline
1941 Letters 1941 Letter Highlights 1941 Illustrated Timeline
Pearl Harbor: Eye Witness Account USS Shaw / ERB Connection ERB-Truman H. Landon Connection
1942 Letters 1942 Letter Highlights 1942 Illustrated Timeline
1943 Letters 1943 Letter Highlights 1943 Illustrated Timeline
1944 Letters 1944 Letter Highlights 1944 Illustrated Timeline
1945 Letters 1945 Letter Highlights 1945 Illustrated Timeline
ERB: War Correspondent Pre- and Post-Wartime Timelines ERB Visits WWII Australia   Text Only
Our Japanese Problem ~ Hawaii Magazine ERB & Military: Early Years ERB Bio Timeline ~ 1875-1950
ERB Wartime Files v.1: Hawaii Clippings ERB Wartime Files v.2: Articles ERB Wartime Files v.3: Laugh It Off

Visit our thousands of other sites at:
ERB Text, ERB Images and Tarzan® are ©Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.- All Rights Reserved.
All Original Work ©1996-2004/2019 by Bill Hillman and/or Contributing Authors/Owners
No part of this web site may be reproduced without permission from the respective owners.